Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) Awareness Training
Sudden Cardiac Arrest is the number one cause of death in the United States for student athletes during exercise.
AYSO has a new state mandated training requirement for all volunteers (administrators, board members, coaches, referees, coordinators, instructors, etc.). This is a one-time only training for AYSO volunteers in California.
- Visit AYSO U and log in to your account.
- Click on the tab "In-Person Courses"
- Click on "Open" next to "Safe Haven Instructor Led Courses".
Click for "Sudden Cardiac Arrest"
"Section 1/ Area P"
"Region 0076 - Sudden Cardiac Arrest"
- Register for the next available In-Person session for the training. (Don't worry, the training is online only and this step is only required to keep track of who has completed the course). Next to "Sudden Cardiac Arrest Course Session - Region 0076 - 1/P/0076 Beverly Hills CA" Click on "Register"
- Click on this link to visit the NFHS site in a separate window: https://nfhslearn.com/courses/sudden-cardiac-arrest.
- Create a free account on the NFHS site or log into your existing account.
- Select "California" from the drop down menu at the top of the page which reads "Please Select Your State" and click on "Order Course".
- Follow the steps to complete the FREE course order process.
- Complete the online course. This process should take approximately 15 minutes.
- Once the course is completed, you will be able to download a completion certificate PDF for the course. Please download this certificate to your computer or device.
- Return to the AYSO U page where you registered for the Sudden Cardiac Arrest course.
- Click on "Launch" next to "Sudden Cardiac Arrest Certificate Upload - Region 0076" and upload the completion certificate you downloaded from NFHS. Keep the PDF certificate for your records.
- Once the upload is complete, you may close your browser windows. The course is now complete. Thank you for taking the time to complete this crucial step for the health and safety of our participants.
Sudden Cardiac Arrest is the number one cause of death in the United States for student athletes during exercise. Caused by a structural or electrical problem associated with the heart, Sudden Cardiac Arrest happens when the heart unexpectedly stops beating and pumping blood.
With content developed by Simon’s Heart, this course will help you learn and recognize the warning signs and symptoms of Sudden Cardiac Arrest.
Also included are tips for what to do in the critical moments after an individual suddenly collapses in order to save their life.