Volunteer Registration and Certification Requirements
All AYSO volunteers (coaches, team administrators, referees, field monitors, board members, etc) must register as a volunteer each and every year. This annual registration is required as part of the many steps AYSO takes to adhere to the appropriate policies and regulations that concern volunteers who work with children. The registration site, www.eayso.org is maintained by AYSO national and is separate from the Beverly Hills AYSO website found at www.ayso76.org.
AYSO has recently introduced electronic signature capabilities that will make volunteer registration MUCH EASIER. As a returning volunteer, you will no longer be required to print your volunteer registration forms and submit them to the region. You only need to update/verify your registration information, electronically “sign” the document on the eAYSO website and you’re done.
Volunteers that are new to AYSO or that have never before registered as a volunteer at eAYSO must still submit a printed copy of their volunteer form with a valid ID. Typically this is done at a certification course such as a coach or referee clinic or a safe haven course.
The process is fairly straightforward once you login to the eAYSO website. Additional information on how to register as a volunteer can be found on our eAYSO Registration Guide.
In addition to annual registration, AYSO requires each volunteer to be properly certified for the particular job they will be performing during the season. For ALL volunteers, including Team Administrators, this requirement includes AYSO’s Safe Haven training which covers basic safety and health information policies. Coaches must be properly certified as coaches for their division (U6, U8, etc.) and volunteers who wish to become referees must take the Basic Referee Course (at a minimum).
ONLINE SAFE HAVEN TRAINING
AYSO offers Safe Haven Training as an online course. For those of you that need to complete your Safe Haven Training, this can be a very quick and easy way to get it done. The course can be found on the AYSO Online Training website. Once you enter the site with your AYSO ID, click on "Courses" and you should see "Course MT02 - AYSO's Safe Haven" under the topic SAFE HAVEN. Once you complete the course online, your certification will be attached to your eAYSO online record automatically.
CDC CONCUSSION AWARENESS
AYSO recently introduced training on the topic of concussions. The course uses information from the "Heads Up: Concussion in High School Sports" initiative developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Like Safe Haven, the course is offered online on the AYSO Online Training website. It is under the SAFE HAVEN topic and is called "AYSO CDC Concussion Awareness". AYSO strongly recommends that all volunteers take this online course.
In order to maximize our region’s compliance with AYSO national requirements for volunteers, we enforce the following policies:
- Registration: ALL coaches, referees, and team administrators must be registered at eAYSO for the current season.
- Safe Haven Certification: ALL coaches, referees, and team administrators must be Safe Haven Certified.
- Coach Specific Certification: ALL coaches must be properly certified for the division they plan to coach. For example, a coach that is planning to volunteer in U10 must have a U10 Coaching Certification. Coaching certification for a different division will not satisfy this requirement. Any coach that has not satisfied the requirements above will NOT be assigned to a team in the fall. Additional detail on Coach Certification, including a list of clinics offered in our region can be found on our Coach Certification page.
- CDC Concussion Awareness: ALL coaches in U12 and above must complete the AYSO CDC Concussion Awareness training. However, while not YET required for other groups, this new course is highly recommended for all AYSO volunteers. Once you complete the online traning, you will not have to repeat the course in the future.
- Referee Specific Certification: ALL referees must be certified by taking, at a minimum, the Basic Referee Course. This requirement is in addition to the registration and safe haven requirement listed above for all volunteers.
- Volunteer Point Allocation: ALL Referees, Field Monitors, or other volunteers earning points must be registered in eAYSO for the current season AND be appropriately certified in order to allocate points. The system will not allow you to allocate your points if the system does not indicate that these requirements have been met.