Information for Teams About Refereeing at the Cup
TOURNAMENT INFORMATION FOR REFEREES
- Referee "Goodies" - Please stop by La Cienega Park or Kenneth Hahn Park anytime during the tournament to pick up your gifts for participating in the tournament. We will also be providing lunch for all referees. At La Cienega Park, you will receive a voucher for Mexican food, and at all other fields Pizza will be delivered around lunchtime.
- Check In - Please make sure to arrive no later than 20 minutes before your scheduled assignment. There will be a check-in
station at each field and we ask that you sign in to ensure your team receives proper credit toward their referee refund.
Although we assigned referee slots to individual referees, feel free to adjust your team's assignments among the referees on
your teams as you wish. Just make sure that you initial the sign-in sheets on the games You are doing (even if the named referee is
someone else on your referee team) so we can give your team the proper credit. Directions to all field locations may be
- Game Format - There will be no coin flips to start the game. The home team will pick the direction and the visiting team
will kick off to start the first half. The home team is listed first on the game schedule. For U10, we will play 25 minute halves,
U12 will play 25 minute halves, and U14 will play 30 minute halves. However, no matter when you start the game, please be sure
to end the games on time...and absolutely no later than 5 minutes before the start of the next game... even if you have to shorten your game. We really
must make sure to stay on schedule since some of our fields do not have lights.
- Scoring - The Sportsmanship Cup is scored based on the behavior of the coaches, players, and spectators. After each game,
you will be asked to fill out a scoring form for each team. Each team starts with 100 points and receives deductions based on the
opinion of the referee team in several categories. The field monitors will provide you with the scoring sheets at the end of each game.
The scoring guidelines provide more detail. In addition, each Referee team will award a Sportsmanship Pin to one player on each team. This award is meant to highlight a player that the Referee team deemed is deserving of special recognition for sportsmanship and behavior during the game.
- The referee schedules will be posted online approximately 3 days after the games schedules are posted...hopefully on Wednesday evening, Dec 16th. Emails will also be sent to each referee confirming the assignment.
Please refer to the Sportsmanship Cup Rules more detailed information about the tournament.
REFEREE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
FOR TEAMS FROM ALL REGIONS (EXCEPT BEVERLY HILLS - Region 76, see below)
Please read the following, which supersedes any previous communication from us.
- Referee teams must be submitted ONLINE on the Cup website NO LATER than Thursday, December 8th. ONLINE submissions are the ONLY manner in which referees can be submitted to the tournament.
To guarantee a full referee refund, a team of 3 referees qualified to referee in your
team’s age division must be submitted by this deadline. Log in through
the team status
page to submit your referees.
- To earn a full refund, a total of 9 assignments (3 referees for 3 games) is
expected by each referee team. In some cases, tournament scheduling challenges result
in a team being assigned fewer than 9 assignments. As long as a complete and qualified
team is submitted online by the December 10th deadline, your team will receive the
full refund even if you are assigned fewer than 9 assignments…provided, of
course, that you complete each of the assignments that are assigned to your referee team.
- Partial, prorated refunds will be provided for teams that have fewer than 3
referees. However, the referees still must be submitted ONLINE by the December 8th
deadline to qualify for the proper prorated refunds.
- For referees that are submitted after the December 8th deadline, we will make
every effort to assign your referee team to games. However, your refund will be
prorated based on the number of assignments you receive, with NO GUARANTEE that
you will receive any assignments at all. The only way to ensure a full refund
is to submit a complete and qualified team by the December 8th deadline.
- Feel free to submit as many referees as you wish. We will allocate the 9
assignments required among all the referees submitted.
- YOUTH REFEREES ARE WELCOME AND WILL EARN FULL CREDIT. YOUTH
REFEREES MUST, HOWEVER, EITHER (A) BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT MONITOR OR (B)
BE PART OF A TEAM WITH ONE ADULT REFEREE (THE ADULT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE CENTER REF). All Youth Referees must be submitted ONLINE just like the rest of the referee team.
- QUESTIONS ABOUT REFEREEING?: Send an email to our Cup Referee Scheduling Team at
- ALL OTHER QUESTIONS: Send an email to email@example.com
FOR TEAMS FROM BEVERLY HILLS - Region 76
All REGION 76 TEAMS are required to follow the following procedures for Sportsmanship Cup referees. Any team that does not complete each of their referee assignments or does not follow the process defined below WILL NOT BE GRANTED REGIONAL APPROVAL FOR PARTICIPATION IN POST SEASON TOURNAMENTS including, but not limited to, RIVERSIDE LOCOMOTION. SO PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION CAREFULLY!!!
- Please SUBMIT YOUR
REFEREE NAMES ON THE TEAM
STATUS PAGE for ALL referees whose children are participating in the
tournament. Please make sure to use the referee's email address on the form (not the coach's email address, for example). This must
be done no later than TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6th. And if you have more than 3 referees,
please submit ALL OF THEM. This will mean fewer assignments for each referee as we will allocate the teams assignments to the
available list of referees for the team.
- Coaches must CONFIRM REFEREE AVAILABILITY prior to submitting a referee as part of their team.
Only submit referees that you already have confirmed will be available during the Cup weekend
- If a referee is submitted as part of more than one team, they will be ASSIGNED AS PART OF BOTH TEAMS. This means the a referee
could RECEIVE UP TO 8 ASSIGNMENTS DURING THE WEEKEND. So make sure to check with your referee and
confirm that they are only SUBMITTED AS PART OF ONE TEAM. If a referee has more than one child playing in the tournament, coordinate with the referee to ensure they are only submitted
as part of the team with which they want their assignments coordinated.
- Only enter ACTUAL REFEREES as part of your submission who you expect to complete the referee assignments. DO NOT ENTER PLACEHOLDERS, or names of referees that will not participate
just to reach the submission requirement of three referees. The names of referees submitted WILL BE USED to schedule games and the use of "placeholders"
will only serve to confuse the referees named, make the scheduling process more difficult, and increase that chances that one of your assignments is not filled, resulting in the EXCLUSION OF YOUR TEAM FROM PARTICIPATING IN FUTURE TOURNAMENTS.
- Each referee may be asked to complete UP TO 4 ASSIGNMENTS over the
course of the weekend. Typically, the majority of Region 76 referees are assigned
fewer than 4, but in some cases 4 will be required.
- Each referee may be asked to MISS ALL OR PART OF ONE GAME INVOLVING THEIR CHILD. Obviously, we will minimize this to the extent
possible but the logistics of this tournament due to the distance between the fields
will make this a requirement in some cases. For those families that have a
CHILD PARTICIPATING ON MORE THAN ONE TEAM, THIS WILL BE EVEN MORE LIKELY
since scheduling around the games of two different teams is typically not possible.
- While assignments are given to individual referees in our system, each assignment
is still the responsibility of the team. THEREFORE, IF A REFEREE ON YOUR TEAM REJECTS ONE OR MORE OF THEIR ASSIGNMENTS, THE TEAM COACH WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
FINDING ANOTHER REFEREE TO FILL THE SPOT. Please make
sure your referees know this. We have had serious issues in the past with Region 76
referees simply refusing to do their referee assignments since as the hosts, we do
not charge a referee deposit for our own teams. In those situations, THE AFFECTED TEAMS WERE NOT APPROVED FOR RIVERSIDE LOCOMOTION AND DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN THAT TOURNAMENT. If the individual volunteer referee understands that the
team will still need to fill the spot, and understands the consequences of simply rejecting the assignment, the probability of a cancellation will be
Thank you for your cooperation. Please direct any questions regarding Sportsmanship Cup referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct any non-referee questions to Michael Karlin, Webmaster/Scheduler, and Cindy and Mark Dubin, Tournament Directors, at email@example.com.