Information for Teams About Refereeing at the Cup
TOURNAMENT INFORMATION FOR REFEREES
Referee Schedules are now posted.
- Referee "Goodies" - Please stop by La Cienega Park, Kenneth Hahn Park, or Fairfax High School anytime during the tournament to pick up your gifts for participating in the tournament. We will also be providing lunch for all referees. At La Cienega Park, you will receive a voucher for Mexican food, and at all other fields Pizza will be delivered around lunchtime.
- Check In - Please make sure to arrive no later than 20 minutes before your scheduled assignment. There will be a check-in
station at each field and we ask that you sign in to ensure your team receives proper credit toward their referee refund.
Although we assigned referee slots to individual referees, feel free to adjust your team's assignments among the referees on
your teams as you wish. Just make sure that you initial the sign-in sheets on the games You are doing (even if the named referee is
someone else on your referee team) so we can give your team the proper credit. Directions to all field locations may be
- Game Format - There will be no coin flips to start the game. The home team will pick the direction and the visiting team
will kick off to start the first half. The home team is listed first on the game schedule. For U10, we will play 25 minute halves,
U12 will play 25 minute halves, and U14 will play 30 minute halves. However, no matter when you start the game, please be sure
to end the games on time...5 minutes before the start of the next game... even if you have to shorten your game. We really
must make sure to stay on schedule since some of our fields do not have lights.
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR GAMES AT EL RODEO BOTH DAYS AND AT HORACE MANN ON SUNDAY: The game slots at El Rodeo and the Sunday game slots at Horace Mann are only 1 hour long. Therefore it is likely that each half will need to be reduced by a couple of minutes to keep the schedule. Please be aware of this and make sure to end the games at 55 minutes past the hour NO MATTER WHAT TIME YOU START. And if you need to shorten the game to do this, please do it evenly to both halves.
- Scoring - The Sportsmanship Cup is scored based on the behavior of the coaches, players, and spectators. After each game, you will be asked to fill out a scoring form for each team. Each team starts with 100 points and receives deductions based on the opinion of the referee team in several categories. The field monitors will provide you with the scoring sheets at the end of each game. The scoring guidelines provide more detail.
Please refer to the Sportsmanship Cup Rules more detailed information about the tournament.
REFEREE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
FOR TEAMS FROM ALL REGIONS (EXCEPT BEVERLY HILLS - Region 76, see below)
Please read the following, which supersedes any previous communication from us.
- Referee teams must be submitted online NO LATER than Thursday, December 12th. Online
submissions are the ONLY manner in which referees can be submitted to the tournament.
To guarantee a full referee refund, a team of 3 referees qualified to referee in your
team’s age division must be submitted by this deadline. Log in through
the team status
page to submit your referees.
- To earn a full refund, a total of 9 assignments (3 referees for 3 games) is
expected by each referee team. In some cases, tournament scheduling challenges result
in a team being assigned fewer than 9 assignments. As long as a complete and qualified
team is submitted online by the December126th deadline, your team will receive the
full refund even if you are assigned fewer than 9 assignments…provided, of
course, that you complete each of the assignments that are assigned to your referee team.
- Partial, prorated refunds will be provided for teams that have fewer than 3
referees. However, the referees still must be submitted online by the December 12th
deadline to qualify for the proper prorated refunds.
- For referees that are submitted after the December 12th deadline, we will make
every effort to assign your referee team to games. However, your refund will be
prorated based on the number of assignments you receive, with NO GUARANTEE that
you will receive any assignments at all. The only way to ensure a full refund
is to submit a complete and qualified team by the December 12th deadline.
- Feel free to submit as many referees as you wish. We will allocate the 9
assignments required among all the referees submitted.
- YOUTH REFEREES ARE WELCOME AND WILL EARN FULL CREDIT. YOUTH
REFEREES MUST, HOWEVER, EITHER (A) BE ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT MONITOR OR (B)
BE PART OF A TEAM WITH ONE ADULT REFEREE (THE ADULT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE CENTER REF). Click here for the Youth Referee form that needs to be completed and submitted to us at email@example.com. .
- QUESTIONS ABOUT REFEREEING?: Send an email to our Cup Referee Scheduling Team at
- ALL OTHER QUESTIONS: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR TEAMS FROM BEVERLY HILLS - Region 76
Please SUBMIT YOUR REFEREE NAMES ON THE TEAM STATUS PAGE for ALL referees whose children are participating in the tournament. Please make sure to use the referee's email address on the form (not the coach's email address, for example). This must be done no later than TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10th. And if you have more than 3 referees, please submit ALL OF THEM. This will mean fewer assignments for each referee as we will allocate the teams assignments to the available list of referees for the team.
REFEREE SCHEDULING PROCEDURES FOR SPORTSMANSHIP CUP TEAMS FROM BEVERLY HILLS:
- The referee schedules will be posted online approximately 3 days after the
games schedules are posted...hopefully on Wednesday, Dec 18th. Emails will
also be sent to each referee confirming the assignment.
- Each referee may be asked to do up to 4 assignments over the
course of the weekend. Typically, the majority of Region 76 referees are assigned
fewer than 4, but in some cases 4 will be required.
- Each referee may be asked to miss all or part of one (but not more than
one) game involving their child. Obviously, we will minimize this to the extent
possible but the logistics of this tournament due to the distance between the fields
will make this a requirement in some cases. For those families that have a
child participating on more than one team, this will be even more likely
since scheduling around 2 different teams is extremely challenging.
- While assignments are given to individual referees in our system, each assignment is still the responsibility of the team. Therefore, if any referees on your team cancel one or more of their assignments, you (as the coach) will be responsible for finding another referee from your team to fill that spot. Please make sure your referees know this. We have had serious issues in the past with Region 76 referees simply refusing to do their referee assignments since as the hosts, we do not charge a referee deposit for our own teams. If they understand that the team will still need to fill the spot, the probability of a cancellation will be greatly reduced.
Thank you for your cooperation. Please direct any questions regarding Sportsmanship Cup referees to email@example.com. Please direct any non-referee questions to Michael Karlin, Webmaster/Scheduler, and Cindy and Mark Dubin, Tournament Directors, at firstname.lastname@example.org.