Sportmanship Cup - Coach Bulletin 2
December 14, 2014
Dear Sportsmanship Cup Coaches:
Here is additional information about the Cup. The game schedules are published but please read this message carefully.
- Paperwork/Online Work
- GAME SCHEDULES AND LOCATIONS
Signed Rosters (URGENT) – Thanks to all who have already submitted your signed rosters. (BH teams, you do not need to do this - see below.) If you have not already done so, please email your scanned Regional Commissioner-signed roster to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for this is Tuesday December 16. Make sure that the subject line reads: "Sportsmanship Cup Roster - [Division], [Coach name]".
After that date, you can make changes to your roster up until the day of the tournament but you must have in your possession an updated roster with an original signature from your Regional Commissioner. If your roster has changed since you submitted it to us, you must have a copy to give to the field director at each field at which you will be playing. The field director at the first field at which your play needs to initial all copies of revised rosters.
We accept regional rosters, rosters created using our system, or eAYSO rosters – any form is fine so long as the basic information is there (player name, AYSO ID number, date of birth as well as team information and RC signature).
Guest players are permitted (up to three). Use the guest player form, which should accompany your printed roster.
Line-Up Cards (URGENT)– Even if you have submitted a paper roster or faxed or emailed one in, we require you to log in to our system and create a roster with your players’ names, uniform numbers and dates of birth (no other information is required unless you are using our roster form for the printed version). In exchange, WE print the line-up cards. THIS MUST BE DONE BY TUESDAY EVENING AT THE LATEST.
To enter or edit your roster online go to http://www.ayso76.org/cup/, click on the link to team status, choose your team, log in and click on the link to add or view/edit your roster. If you have already entered your roster, you can edit and delete individual players by clicking on the Edit link next to their name; you can add a player by clicking the Add a Player link at the bottom right.
If you change your roster after Wednesday evening, please make your changes and email email@example.com to let us know that you have made a change. Changes can include adding or subtracting players or adding uniform numbers (for teams who get their uniforms late).
Medical Releases – You must have in your possession at all times a full set of medical releases. These will be requested at your first check in and may be requested at check-in at all games. There will be no exceptions – no releases, no play.
ID Cards – We do NOT require ID cards.
NOTE FOR BEVERLY HILLS TEAMS: Your division director must assign your teams, but it is your responsibility to put in uniform numbers and team name and colors NO LATER THAN TUESDAY DECEMBER 16. Log in as usual and do this at www.ayso76.net, Team Rosters & Admin. Your Cup team will be [Division]-76-[Serial Number]. For example, Mitch Cohen’s team is B10-76-1.
The game schedules are published at www.ayso76.org/Schedule/index_cup.cfm. When the referee schedules are published, a link will be on the game schedule page.
Please check your schedules and do so again on Friday afternoon, just to be safe. We will not make changes to the schedule at this point except to correct clear errors. Every team (with one exception, you know who you are) is scheduled to play two games a day. We have received many requests and where we can we have accommodated them. We will shortly post an explanation of how we go about scheduling this tournament and you will see why we cannot make changes.
Addresses and directions to field locations are now posted at http://www.ayso76.org/schedule/directions.cfm.
Some field notes:
- BHHS Upper Field - There are two soccer fields at Beverly Hills High School. One is in the football stadium along Moreno Drive. The other is west of the football stadium, up a hill behind the school. There is a street "Heath" that runs in the middle of the school and that you can use to drive closer to the Upper Field. There is some parking near the Upper Field. This year, both the Football Field and the Upper Field will have their own separate check ins.
- La Cienega -The fitness equipment area along La Cienega is closed to the public this coming weekend so please honor this City request.
- Fairfax - No food or drinks are permitted on the new field.
- Pets are NOT ALLOWED at any field, except for service dogs. However, pets may also be brought to La Cienega Park, but they must be kept on a leash and must be removed from the vicinity of the fields if requested by a tournament official or a referee.
We plan to publish the referee schedules on Wednesday evening. The referee schedule information will be accessible in the following manner:
- Published on our Cup website: There will also be links to the schedule from the Cup home page and the Cup game schedule page.
- A report of all the games assigned to the referees associated with your team. A link to this report is found on your Team Information Page where you submitted your referee team. The link is called “Team Referee Assignments” and is in the “Referees Submitted” section.
- All assigned referees will receive individual confirmation emails for each one of their assignments.
Some additional important information regarding referees:
- Referees are asked to check in 20 minutes before their game time at the fields where the assignment is located.
- Teams may swap referees among the assignments given to the team. So an AR and CR may swap roles among the referees on a single referee team. Also, where more than 3 referees were submitted for a single team, feel free to mix and match which referees cover each game. Just make sure that all assignments given to the referees on your team are covered and that somebody checks in for each one of the assignments before the game.
- Once we send out the confirmation emails, any responses received from referees stating that they will not be able to make an assignment will be forwarded to the coach for submission of a replacement referee for that assignment. If a replacement for that assignment is not provided, referee refunds will be affected accordingly.
There is no centralized check-in. You will do a full check-in at the first field at which you play. For those playing at the La Cienega Park East Field, you check in at the West Field a couple of hundred feet away. Those checking in for Beverly Hills High School Upper + Field should check in at the football field.
Please check in for your first game no later than 45 minutes before it is due to start. You will be given your line-up cards (we will make any late changes manually at that time) for all four games. Please check in for all of your other games no later than half an hour before your game.
Soccer can be played in the rain, which is a good thing considering the game originated in England. Unless it is pouring and/or unsafe, we will play in the rain.
Announcements concerning game cancellations will be made on our website (www.ayso76.org), Facebook (www.bit.ly/ayso76), Twitter (www.twitter.com/ayso76). We may also send out emails, where practical. We no longer update rainout messages on voicemail.
The rules for the Cup are posted at https://www.ayso76.net/inleague/documents/files/76/TC-140_BHSCup_2014_Tournament_Rulesfinal.pdf. Also, please review http://www.ayso76.org/Cup/cuprefguidelines.cfm - the guidelines for scoring in this tournament.
On the subject of scoring, a couple of points: First, the reason for this tournament is to allow your players to play without pressure. They will try just as hard – everyone wants to win – but nothing is at stake, so the games are for fun. Please honor the spirit of the Sportsmanship Cup and encourage your players, your assistants and your parents to have fun, be positive, and enjoy themselves.
Second, by tradition, we do not announce the scores of the teams. Two teams per division with the most points will win a trophy and a medal; everyone else will, I am sure, do well.
- The Delicious Snack Company snack bar at La Cienega Park and a snack bar at Fairfax High School, will be open both days. Please do not bring food onto the new synthetic turf field at Fairfax.
- Vicentes Tacos will be available both days at La Cienega Park as well Polar Ice frozen treats and delicious kettle korn.
- Candy will be for sale at most of the fields, at the check in tables.
Check out our Things to Do page at http://www.ayso76.org/Cup/cup_todo.cfm. This includes listings of the great museums in our area, many of them super kid-friendly, shopping and movies and restaurants.
Please turn in found items to the field director at any field. We have a lost and found page on our website and will try to post information about items there. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to have a lost or found item posted.
- Game Schedules, Online Rosters and Website Problems - Michael Karlin at email@example.com
- Referees and Referee Schedules - Jeff Wolfe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rosters and all Other Questions - Cindy Dubin at email@example.com
We look forward to seeing you at the 17th Sportsmanship Cup this weekend.
Michael Karlin, Webmaster/Scheduler/Cup Founder
Mark and Cindy Dubin, Sportsmanship Cup Directors
Jeff Wolfe, Referee Coordinator